The ACA CARES Preservation Program
The purpose of the CARES Preservation Program is to create a base stock of conservation priority species through encouraging hobbyists worldwide to devote tank space to one or more species at risk and distribute offspring to fellow qualified hobbyists, while forming an information network between aquarists, scientists, and conservationists.
The CARES Preservation Program has four major objectives:
- to bring AWARENESS to the critical situation of fish in nature while EDUCATING the public and stressing the importance of our roles as RESPONSIBLE aquarists;
- to RECOGNIZE, ENCOURAGE, and offer SUPPORT to hobbyists who maintain species at risk;
- to SHARE fish as well as data and experiences through notes and manuscripts so that others may learn to maintain those identical and similar species; and
- to PRESERVE species at risk for future generations.
A warm thank you to our registered members of ACA CARES for your invaluable contribution towards preserving conservation priority cichlids for generations to come! We look forward to adding your name to the growing list! I am certain that with your help we can place every species on the list into at least one of your tanks!
Please be certain that you are included in ACA CARES!
The CARES Preservation Program is about our fish, and it is about people. We are one team, working together. Please, clear a tank ~ save a fish! We can and we are making a difference!
How to register:
If you are maintaining species on the CARES Conservation Priority List, please contact us with the following information:
- a) your name
- b) your postal address
- c) your e-mail address
- d) your telephone number (optional)
- e) the name of each species
- f) where or from whom obtained
- g) collection location, if available
- h) when obtained (approximate date is fine!)
- i) two to three photographs of the fish in your tank(s)
I look forward to hearing from you!